103rd Synod of the Diocese of Mid-America
October 15-16, 2009
Cathedral of St. Matthias
1. Our Presiding Bishop, The Most Rev. Leonard W. Riches, was the preacher at
the opening service of Holy Communion, Friday, Oct. 15, 2009.
2. The clergy and deaconesses who were in the procession at the opening service.
Note the Tiffany window from St. Andrew’s, which is in the center of the
3. The 25th anniversary of the consecration of Bishop Grote to the episcopate was celebrated at the banquet on Thursday night. Here he is presented with a beautifully framed chart diagramming his episcopal ancestry.
4. From donations sent in by the clergy and parishes, Bishop Grote was given a new set of episcopal vestments.
5. Through the generous gifts of the parishes, Bishop & Ellen Grote were also given a vacation to Ireland, in appreciation for his many years of dedicated service to the REC and the Kingdom of God.
Our annual Homecoming Sunday was observed on Oct. 4, 2009. Following the worship service there was a delicious pot luck luncheon in the Parish Hall.
Rev. Frank & Patty Levi attended the Synod in Katy, Texas, Oct. 15-16, 2009.
Sat., Nov. 7, 2009
5 – 7 p.m.
Tickets: Adults, $6; Children 6-18, $3; Children 5 & under, FREE.
Family tickets can be purchased for $15
Community Thanksgiving Service
Sunday, Nov. 22, 2009
Faith Christian Reformed Church
8383 W. 171st Street
Tinley Park, IL
Feast of St. Andrew
November 30, 2009
6:30 Pot Luck in the Parish Hall
7:30 Worship Service
The church is accepting donations for the purchase of liquid wax candles for the two candelabra in the chancel. We need fourteen candles and they cost approximately $50.00 each. Thank you for your help in this project.
MISSIONARY OF THE MONTH
Judy King does Bible Translating & Discipling in Brazil.
Nov. 3 - Bishop Franklin Sellers
Nov. 17 - Boyce Ashmore
Nov. 19 - Doris Sellers
Nov. 19 - Caleb Grant Arrigoni
Nov. 21 - Bryan Reagan
Nov. 25 - Leah Poole
Nov. 26 - Ife Olajide
Nov. 28 - Stella Kathleen Levi
Let Us Give Thanks
by Lucille Boesken
Let us give thanks for
The charm of fall, the cheer of spring, the
Unmatched splendor of the skies
Songbirds, brooks and butterflies.
Let us give thanks for all
Inspiring words and failth that lifts
Various joys of every kind
Enduring health and peace of mind.
Let us give thanks for all
Home and family, fruitful years
Abundant blessings on our land
Neighbors, friends who lend a hand
Knowledge, ventures to pursue
Sleep and rest when day is through.
God's love to guide us on our way
For all these things, on this glad day.
By Marion Schoeberlein
Thank You, God, for golden fields,
All the harvest of the year,
No matter where I look, it seems,
You’ve left a golden treasure here.
My table has chrysanthemums,
And honey, in a great big jar,
The autumn sun is golden, too;
Dear God, how beautiful things are.
When each Thanksgiving comes around
My friends and family are here
To share Your blessings with me now,
To say a quiet, little prayer.
The cider and the singing’s sweet,
The turkey and the pumpkin hold
Warm thoughts for everyone today;
They feel Your hug, Your smile of gold!